This simple chicken stir fry recipe is one of my favorites. It’s loaded with healthy veggies and the most delicious sauce made with soy sauce, sesame oil, and sweet chili sauce.
It’s a quick and easy dinner that takes less then 30 minutes to prepare, which makes it perfect for those busy nights when you’re shuttling the kids back and forth from practice and after school activities.
What I really love about stir fry dinners is how flexible they are. This recipe uses chicken breast, broccoli, bell peppers, onions, and water chestnuts. But you can mix and match with whatever you like best and have on hand.
You can make this stir fry with chicken, beef, pork, or vegetarian style. You can serve it over rice, ramen noodles, or without a side. You can add carrots, sugar snap peas, baby corn, or whatever other veggies are available. Feel free to experiment as much as you like.
My whole family loves this recipe so I hope you try making this simple chicken stir fry soon!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast - cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger - grated
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, sweet chili sauce, garlic, ginger, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Add broccoli, onion, water chestnuts, and bell peppers. Stirring occasionally, cook until tender but crisp (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add chicken back to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and veggies and stir gently to combine.
- Stirring occasionally, bring sauce to a boil and let it boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice. Sprinkle on sesame seeds for garnish.
Tips For The Perfect And Simple Chicken Stir Fry
- Cut your chicken and vegetables into similar sized pieces so they’ll cook evenly. Sloppy cuts will give you a stir fry with some veggies undercooked and some that are mushy.
- Chicken stir fry is delicious served over rice, ramen noodles, couscous, or quinoa.
- Using low sodium soy sauce will give you better control of the salt content of the dish. You can always add additional salt to taste, but you can’t take it away once it’s in there.
- Stir fry meals are great for busy nights when you don’t have much time to prepare dinner. They’re so versatile and a great dish to add to your family meal plan.
- Experiment! This simple chicken stir fry can be prepared with whatever vegetables you have on hand. You can add carrots, sugar snap peas, zucchini, baby corn, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, scallions, and anything else you like. Be creative!